The National Crisis Hotline - 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
Crisis Text Line
To text with a live trained Crisis Counselor, text HOME to 741741.
All calls are confidential, or dial 911 in an emergency.
How Parents Can Help Youth & Adolescents Experiencing a Mental Illness:
Remain sensitive to your youth's moods & behavior and any changes.
Monitor symptoms and responses to medication.
Provide encouragement and support for self-care.
Talk with other care-givers.
5 Action Steps for Helping Someone in Emotional Pain
1) ASK: "Are you thinking about killing yourself?" While it is not an easy question to ask, studies show that asking the ? does not increase suicides or suicidal thoughts.
2) KEEP THEM SAFE: Reduce access to lethal items or place.
3) BE THERE: Listen carefully. Acknowledge their feelings.
4) HELP THEM CONNECT: Save the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number in your phone so it is there when you need it. 1-800-273-8255
5) STAY CONNECTED: Follow up. Stay in touch after a crisis or being discharged from care.